Monday, November 2, 2015

Star Wars Episode 7: Trailer

Hey everyone, okay so I've always been a huge Star Wars fan and always will be, but why aren't they using the Expanded Universe?? Ugh, that just annoys me. All those awesome books they wrote in case anyone decided to make more movies and they just ignore them.

Anyway, so I know this is titled "Trailer", but we'll get to that.

So the "New Star Wars Universe" book, Aftermath came out a few months ago and it was... awful. At first I compared it to the good Star Wars books, you know the EU? Yeah, okay, so I thought that might be bad taste. So I decided to look at it as a new reader to Star Wars and I was still disappointed.

Aftermath was worse than awful, it was boring. A boring Star Wars book is not good.

What could have made it better?

Well, lets see. How about characters we actually care about?? People were excited to read this book for one purpose - to figure out what's happening between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. And nothing was told. Yes, sure some little things were mentioned, but nothing substantial.

I don't suggest reading the book. Instead read Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. It's epic.

Anyway onto the current trailer for The Force Awakens.

So... okay. I'm going to be honest, I was disappointed with the trailer. It was just a glorified teaser. If we are honest with ourselves, everyone will agree with me on this. The trailer told us nothing new. We already knew Rey was a scavenger, Finn a troubled stormtrooper, Poe an x-wing pilot who gets captured, Ren a bad guy who's obsessed with Vader, Starkiller Base is on a snow planet like Hoth, Jakku is basically a cooler version of Tatooine, That other planet that looks like a mix between Endor and Yavin, and that other one that resembles Sullust.

Seriously with the planets? Can't they think of something different than snow, forest, and sand?

So still no one knows even a little about the plot and no one knows who all the characters are (granted I understand their reasoning behind not revealing a few last names - that's fine, but who is Max Von Sydow playing?)

Every other Star Wars Trailer was epic and it didn't change the way I wanted to see them. I wanted to see them all no matter how much they revealed.

Things I wish the trailer had: (Other than the things I named above)

Space Battles. All the battles with the fighters were over the land. Yeah, it looked cool, but please J.J. have a Space Battle. It's called STAR WARS for a reason.

So I'm just speculating here, but I think Finn isn't the Jedi in this movie. The part at the end of the trailer where he just looks scared to death by Ren doesn't appear very Jedi like. Fear leads to the dark side. My guess is and has always been, Rey is the Jedi and the daughter of either Leia or Luke.

Since J.J. has already said this trilogy will continue the Skywalker family, one of those kids (Rey, Finn, Poe, or Kylo) is a Skywalker.

Alright, so I know all you "die hard" Star Wars fans of the NEW movie are going to hate me, but whatever. It had to be said.

Anyway. Leave your hateful comments below or your nice ones. Take your pick. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment